Do you find you spend too much time scrolling through hundreds of section sizes in Autodesk Advance Steel?
This article explains step-by-step how you can optimize your time, by making readily available only the few sections you will need, by setting preferred size category at the beginning of any new project. You can also watch the 3-minute video demonstration on YouTube.
1. Open the Management Tools and select the Preferred Sizes category.
2. Expand the Beam flyout, scroll the Sections subcategory, then select the flyout arrow symbol.
3. Scroll down the list and select the AISC 14.1 W section.
4. Double click on the section sizes you need from the available classes to add them to the preferred classes. Then select the Apply icon in the upper right to apply the changes.
5. From the Management Tools, select the Defaults Category.
6. Select the Load Settings in Advance icon to lock in the changes made in the MT.
7. Go back to the working session and Update the Defaults.
Only the section sizes you need for the project are listed at the top. The time wasted scrolling is considerably reduced.
I hope you find this tip useful. Use the stars to rate it.
Watch the 3-minute video demonstration on YouTube.