How to use the Section Calculator tool in Graitec Advance Design
In some specific projects, users encounter members with irregular sections and non-standard shapes. It is necessary to verify the behaviour of these sections under different load types to assure the stability and failure of the structure.
A section calculator tool is handy and useful to evaluate the cross-section properties. Graitec Advance Design has the corresponding tool which is called section editor.
The section editor is a user-friendly tool with several options to modify and manipulate different types of customized shapes. In a few simple and quick steps, sections can be created for different types of materials such as concrete, steel and wood.
- The section editor tool can be selected using two ways, from Edit menu or Manage tool bar:
- Calculation settings are then defined from the Analyze menu:
- Two methods are available to calculate the torsional modulus (the numerical method and the analytical method):
- The user can manage the display parameters and configurate the coordinate system from the grid option:
- As for the drawing process this tool provides two options:
- We can either create sections manually using arbitrary contours and geometrical shapes:
- Or by importing an existing drawing as a DXF file to define the section shape:
- The cross-section material and other parameters can be easily configurated from the Properties tab:
- After defining all the parameters, results are obtained by simply clicking on launch the calculation tool:
- Results contain all the necessary properties and are imported to Graitec Advance Design library for later use as member sections:
Advance Design resources