The use of BIM link tools and workflows have become essential to everyday work, as they save time on every project, therefore reducing costs. With the entire construction industry striving for increased efficiency, Graitec plays its part by offering several tools to help easily manage models and data by connecting key software solutions in a seamless BIM workflow experience.
Autodesk Revit and Advance Steel being widely used by engineering firms worldwide. Graitec FEM solution Advance Design makes interoperability very easy and seamless for different types of models.
Therefore, different file extensions are available to guarantee the transfer of structural models from Revit or Advance Steel to Advance Design and vice versa:
Using our BIM tool, several file extensions can be generated such as ifc, dxf and the most used one GTCX which is the Graitec specific extension for BIM models. Graitec BIM tool has gained trust among users for its many advantages and with the new 2022 version many improvements have been added.
In this blog we will go through the process od how you can transfer your models in between these solutions.
After performing FEM analysis and designing the structural elements users can define the range of results to include in the GTCX file using the BIM tool from the application configuration window:
The function is accessible from project settings:
From Autodesk Revit the GTCX file is imported using the Power pack extension:
Regardless of the material or section the new Graitec BIM tool can easily transfer the structure from one software to another and it will take care of mapping as well, in the figure bellow we can observe several steel elements exported from Advance Design to Revit:
Among other enhancement the new user-friendly interface which allows the user to easily manage and synchronize the model after performing different modifications in either software. This is completely reversible and require minimum intervention, therefore in this blog we will focus on the synchronization workflow form AD to Revit.
- Starting from the imported model from Revit, we will modify the cross section and change the columns form HSS to W, then we will create a new GTCX file using the export tool.
- To synchronize the Advance Design model with REVIT model, in REVIT, we will open the synchronization tool located in the Graitec Power Pack tool tab:
- Then we will open the new GTCX file that contain the modified model from Advance Design:
- From the Elements dialog box, the BIM tool has detected all the modified object, the user can accept these modifications by choosing Accept from the Decision column:
- The synchronization is then applied by clicking on ok. This way we manage to apply the modification on the same file without loosing data or spending time:
Similarly, we can manage and create models from Advance Design to Advance Steel.